TOIndia 2021: Apply for the Summer School!
The TOIndia Summer School offers Master’s students and professionals a broad insight to disentangle recent political, economic and socio-cultural tensions in contemporary India throughout an interdisciplinary approach. From the shocking images of masses of workers flocking streets, stations and railway lines after the lockdown was announced in the subcontinent, to those of the farmers rallies that from Punjab moved to the outskirts of Delhi: instances of unrest emerged powerfully in the past year, bringing to light an increasing tension between developmental policies and the extreme marginalisation of wider strata of society. Increasing unrest was countered with a parallel silencing of voices of dissent from the public debate.
The program, entirely offered in English, is organized by the Department of Cultures, Politics and Society (CPS) of the University of Turin, in collaboration with the Asian Studies Institute (ISA), The Polis Project and the contribution of CRT Foundation.
Applications are welcome from:
• Students at Master and PhD level (though applications from students at Bachelor level will be considered). Student status will be extended to applicants who graduated in December 2020 or later and who are not currently employed full-time;
• Professionals and researchers showing strong interest in the Indian subcontinent, possibly with direct experience of study, volunteering, working or any other relevant experience.
A good knowledge of English language is essential. A language certification is not required, but certifications of level B2 and above and previous studying experience abroad will be taken into consideration.
A Bachelor’s degree at 1st or 2:1 level - or an equivalent European title such as the laurea triennale for Italian students – is a preferential qualification, however Undergraduate students (i.e. students who will not yet have a degree at the start of the School) who are enrolled in an area-studies university course focusing on India are also welcome, provided that they have completed at least one year of course.
Applications open on the 20th April. Those interested into a scholarship must apply by the 25th May, while the general deadline for all application is set on the 10th June 2021 (11:59 PM, Italian time). Early applications are strongly encouraged.
• 20th April 2021 - Applications open.
• 25th May 2021 - Deadline for scholarships' applications.
• 10th June 2021 - Deadline for all applications.